As we discussed, in late 2019 the SBA issued a proposed rule that would make a number of significant changes to the Mentor/Protégé programs and other small business contracting rules. Well, the SBA will soon issue its final rule on these changes, so make sure you are aware of the new rules.
The rule will be effective November 16 (except the WOSB changes in section 127.504 will have an October 16 effective date).
Here are the main items that the SBA will change under this rule:
- Consolidation of the 8(a) Mentor/Protégé Program into the All-Small Mentor/Protégé Program
- Changes to 8(a) contract procurement process
- Changes to the nonmanufacturer rule and limitations on subcontracting
- Revising the joint venture agreement approval process for 8(a) contracts
- Change to when a business has to recertify its size and status for orders under multiple award contract
- Removing the “Three” from the “Three-In-Two” rule for joint ventures
Links to our discussions of the proposed changes can be found here.
In a later post, we’ll highlight any differences between what the SBA had proposed and what made it into the final rule.
Questions about this post? Email us or give us a call at 785-200-8919.