Nicole is an Equity Partner at . Nicole is also co-author of the recently published “Koprince Law LLC GovCon Handbook Volume 4: Second Edition – The 8(a) Program.”
Nicole’s practice focuses exclusively on federal government contract law. In this endeavor, Nicole draws on her civil litigation experience to zealously advocate for clients in several areas of government contracts litigation, including GAO bid protests and SBA size and status protests. Establishing and maintaining quality client relations is and has always been of the upmost importance to Nicole—ask any one of her many long-term, valued clients here at Koprince.
Nicole also leverages her intensive training in legal research and writing to assist clients in transactional needs, including a wide range of complex legal agreements. She is a meticulous drafter and reviewer, well-known for her perceptive eye and ability to identify and draft-to-avoid contractual issues that could potentially arise down the road.
Nicole also utilizes her finely-tuned persuasive writing skills and polished understanding of SBA’s socioeconomic program requirements to assist clients with program admissions, certifications, and denial appeals. Nicole has a specialized knowledge and deep understanding of SBA’s 8(a) Program, as well as a passion for helping disadvantaged individuals utilize it. This inspired her to draft the 8(a) Handbook and her many 8(a) SmallGovCon blog posts; and it is what drives her in crafting her quality social disadvantage narratives that truly capture her clients’ stories.
Prior to joining , Nicole worked in civil litigation, where she specialized in medical malpractice, railroad collisions, wrongful-death, traumatic brain injury, and product liability. In that position, Nicole represented clients in multi-million-dollar state and federal lawsuits.
At Washburn University School of Law, Nicole served on the Washburn Intellectual Property Society and worked as a “Legal Analysis, Research, and Writing” teaching assistant and a research assistant for the head of the Washburn Government Law Department. There, her research and editing contributed to the American Bar Association’s Administrative and Regulatory Law News publication. Nicole received her B.A. from the University of Kansas, where she dual majored in psychology and biology.
Here at Koprince, Nicole relies on her technical background, proficiency in legal analysis and writing, and her teaching skills to assist clients in navigating the intricacies of government contracts law. She spends most of her free time outdoors with her husband and two sons, where she enjoys hiking, kayaking, snowboarding, and fishing. Nicole is a volunteer at a local animal rescue, which is how she ended up a few dogs of her own. She is also an avid yogi and a fierce traveling kickball player.
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- J.D., Washburn University School of Law
- B.A., The University of Kansas
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Kansas Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- “Government Contracting Updates”, Presenter, Webinar from University of Nebraska Omaha PTAC 2022
- “Top 10 Legal Misconceptions in Federal Contracting and Pending Legal Changes”, Co-Presenter, 2022 Ohio PTA
- ” FAR Supplement – AFFARS- Air Force”, Co-Presenter, 2022 Jennifer Schaus Webinar
- “FAR Department Supplement – AFARS – Army”, Panelist, 2022 Jennifer Schaus Webinar
- “Non-manufacturer Rule & Limitations on Subcontracting”, Co-Presenter, 2022, SBA El Paso
- “Government Contracting Updates”, Webinar from University of Nebraska Omaha PTAC 2022
- “Top 21 Legal Mistakes and Changes in Federal Government Contracting”, Co-Presenter, 2021 Kansas PTAC
- “Past Performance in Government Contracting” Co-Presenter, 2021 Govology Webinar
- “Non-Manufacturer Rule in Federal Government Contracting ” Co-Presenter, 2021 Iowa PTAC
- “Top 21 Legal Mistakes in Federal Government Contracting”, Co-Presenter, 2021 Govology Webinar
- “WOSB/EDWOSB Contracting Program”. Co-Presenter, 2021 SBA Webinar
- “The Ins and Outs of Federal Disadvantaged Businesses”, Co-Presenter, 2021 Govology Webinar
- “Limitations on Subcontracting: A Step-by-Step Compliance Guide”, Co-Presenter, 2021 Govology Webinar
- “Joint Ventures”, Co-Presenter, 2021 Nebraska PTAC Webinar
- “Compliant and Effective Teaming Agreements, Joint Ventures & Subcontracts (Three-Part Series)”, Co-Presenter, 2021 Govology Webinar
- “Understanding & Obtaining the SBA’s WOSB & EDWOSB Certifications”, Co-Presenter, 2020 Texas PTAC
- “SBA’s Affiliation Rules”, Co-Presenter, 2020 Iowa PTAC
- “Still a Game Changer: The SBA’s All Small Mentor-Protege Program (2021 Update).” Co-Presenter. 2021 Govology Webinar.
- “8(a) Joint Ventures.” Co-Presenter. 2021 SBA Training Webinar, El Paso District Office.
- “10 Myths of Selling To The Government.” Guest Presenter, 2020 The GovCast Podcast
- “Understanding and Obtaining the SBA’s WOSB and EDWOSB Certifications.” Co-Presenter, 2020 Govology Webinar
- “Buy American Act, Berry Amendment, and Trade Agreements Act.” Co-Presenter, 2020 Govology Webinar
- “Affiliations”, Co-Presenter, 2020 Iowa State University Center for Industrial Research and Service PTAC Webinar
- “Upcoming SBA Rule will Switch to 24-Month Calculation for Employee Size Standards”, SmallGovCon 2022.
- “Back to Basics: WOSB Eligibility”, SmallGovCon 2022.
- “GAO Sustains Protest to Solicitation’s Implementation of Randolph-Sheppard Act”, SmallGovCon 2022.
- “Back to Basics: 8(a) Program Eligibility”, SmallGovCon 2022.
- “SBA’s Approach to Monitoring 8(a) Firms is Focused on Eligibility Rather than Business Development, Says SBA’s OIG”, SmallGovCon 2022.
- “SBA Proposes to Eliminate Some NonManufacturer Rule Class Waivers”, SmallGovCon 2022.
- “Can’t Pad Key Personnel Résumé, Says GAO.” SmallGovCon, 2022.
- “FAR Council Seeks to Address Climate Change in Federal Contracting.” SmallGovCon, 2022.
- “Picking Your Team: Joint Ventures Versus Prime/Subcontractor Teams (Part Three, Relationships).” SmallGovCon, 2022.
- “Final 2022 NDAA Draft Allows HUBZone Appeals.” SmallGovCon, 2022.
- “Agency Properly Rejected Bidder for Listing COVID-19 as a “Force Majeure” Event.” SmallGovCon, 2021.
- “Agencies May Rely on Offerors’ Buy American Act Certifications Unless “Reason to Believe” Non-Compliance.” SmallGovCon, 2021.
- “House-Passed 2022 NDAA Raises Small Business Goal to 25% and Increases SDVOSB, HUBZone, SDB and WOSB Goals.” SmallGovCon, 2021.
- “SBA Suspends Bona Fide Place of Business Requirement for 8(a) Construction Contracts.” SmallGovCon, 2021.
- “5 Things You Should Know: SBA’s Recent 8(a) Program Updates.” SmallGovCon, 2021.
- “Five Things You Should Know: SBA 8(a) Program Potential for Success.” SmallGovCon, 2021.
- “SBA Suggests Three Pages or Fewer for Social Disadvantage Narratives–But Really?” SmallGovCon, 2021.
- “CIO-SP4 Amendment 4: Undoing Amendment 3? Sort Of.” SmallGovCon, 2021.
- “Conflicting CIO-SP4 Updates For CTAs, And Now, A Promise to Clarify.” SmallGovCon, 2021.
- “GAO Seeking Feedback from 8(a) Firms.” SmallGovCon, 2021.
- “SBA’s Paycheck Protection Program Now Closed.” SmallGovCon, 2021.
- “Agency Not Required to Hunt Down and Investigate Bad Publicity, Says GAO.” SmallGovCon, 2021.
- “CIO-SP4 Postponed (Again) But Final Signature Expected Next Week.” SmallGovCon, 2021.
- Second Edition – The 8(a) Program: Koprince Law LLC GovCon Handbook Volume 4. Co-Author, Amazon, 2021.
- “Update: DUNS Not ‘Done’ Until Spring 2022.” SmallGovCon, 2021.
- “FAA Updates Its Rules to Embrace HUBZone Program.” SmallGovCon, 2021.
- “Agency’s Decision to Cancel FAR Part 8 Solicitations and Move the Work to Existing Multiple Award Contract Was Flawed, Says COFC.” SmallGovCon, 2021.
- “COFC Says Agency Must Consider Rule of Two Before Using Multiple-Award IDIQ Contract Vehicle.” SmallGovCon, 2021.
- “Congress Says Small Business Without Past Performance Can Submit Joint Venture Experience Instead.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “OHA: CVE Appeals Go Directly to Us, Not CVE.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “GAO Clarifies Increase-the-Scope Exception For Task Order Jurisdiction.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “SBA Inspector General Says SBA’s Corrective Actions Have Effectively Resolved 8(a) Eligibility Concerns.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “Playing Games? GAO Requires NASA to Scratch $650 Million Contract Due to Foosball Snafu.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “SBA Clarifies that SBIR and STTR Programs Will Allow Successor-In-Interest Transfers of Awards.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “VA CVE Verification Appeals Must be Filed at SBA, Not VA.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “Inspector General: SBA’s Certify.SBA.gov Platform “Has Not Accomplished Its Objectives.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “Ring Ring! GAO Sustains Protest of Awardee’s Conflict of Interest.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “Whose Jurisdiction is it Anyways? GAO Dismisses Size Challenge.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “GAO Awards Costs After Agency Unduly Delays Corrective Action.” SmallGovCon, 2020
- “The FAR’s Non-displacement of Qualified Workers Clause is Finally Getting the Boot.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “PPP Loans: To Take or Not To Take?” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “An Agency’s Broken Promise is Not GAO’s Problem.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “OHA Remands Area Office’s Conflicting Decision in Concurrent Size and Status Protests.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “DoD Warns Contractors to be Wary of Adversarial Investments during Pandemic.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “Sole-Source Options for Agencies During the COVID-19 Pandemic.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “8(a) Social Disadvantage Narratives: What SBA is Looking For.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “It’s Not Up to Agency to Clarify Layout and Printing Errors in Proposals, Says GAO.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “SBA Area Office Double Counted Revenue in Denial of 8(a) Application, Says OHA.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “Federal Supply Schedule Acquisitions Require Price Comparisons to Determine Lowest Overall Cost, Says GAO.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “GAO Sustains Challenge Based on Misrepresentation of Incumbent Staff Availability.” SmallGovCon, 2020.
- “New Avenue for SBA Protests: Ostensible Subcontractor Status Protests.” SmallGovCon, 2019.
- “SBA Proposes to Remove the “Three” from the “Three-in-Two” Rule for Joint Ventures.” SmallGovCon, 2019.
Recent YouTube Videos
- “GAO Task Order Jurisdiction.” YouTube 2020
- “8(a) Eligibility, Appealing Denials.” YouTube 2020
- “The CICA Stay of Performance.” YouTube, 2020.
- “Writing Your 8(a) Application’s Social Disadvantage Narrative: What the SBA is Looking For.” YouTube, 2019.
- “Data Rights Protection: Avoiding the Unlimited Government Rights Default.” YouTube, 2019.
- Drafted numerous social disadvantage narratives for 8(a) Program applications.
- Drafted successful OHA Appeal of 8(a) Program denial.
- Drafted supplemental protest for originally-pro se protester resulting in corrective action in $40 million procurement.
- Prepared SBA OHA Size Protest raising affiliation issues such as ostensible subcontractor affiliation.
- Drafted Intervenor Responses to SBA OHA Size Protests defending issues such as ownership and control.
- Served as primary drafter of a successful pre-award protest challenging the small business set-aside designation’s conformity with the Rule of Two.
- Participated on briefing team for GAO bid protest in a $100 million procurement challenging various issues with the agency’s evaluation.
- Served as primary drafter of numerous GAO bid protests to the terms of solicitations and contract awards.
- Prepared Intervenor Comments for GAO bid protest challenging agency awards.
- Drafted joint venture agreements for SDVOSB, VOSB, EDWOSB, WOSB, 8(a) Program, and small business set-aside procurements.
- Prepared operating agreements for small businesses and small business joint ventures focused on incorporating specific client needs while maintaining SBA regulation-compliance.