Matt is the Managing Partner of Koprince Law LLC, where his practice focuses exclusively on providing legal solutions to federal government contractors. As an attorney, Matt enjoys learning about his clients’ business and developing creative and efficient solutions to their legal problems.
Prior to joining the firm, Matt practiced as a commercial litigator at large law firms in Phoenix and Kansas City, counseling clients on a variety of complex issues. Given this background, Matt is at home representing clients in claims against the government, bid protests (at the Government Accountability Office, FAA Office of Dispute Resolution for Acquisition, and Court of Federal Claims), in small business and socioeconomic status protests at the Small Business Administration, and in appeals before the SBA Office of Hearings and Appeals. Matt also assists clients with requests for equitable adjustment, claims, and appeals at the Boards of Contract Appeals and Court of Federal Claims.
Matt’s practice isn’t limited to dispute resolution. He also counsels clients on every aspect of their unique legal needs as federal government contractors. Not only does Matt help clients navigate regulatory compliance matters and prepare effective and compliant teaming agreements, subcontracts, mentor-protégé agreements, and other key documents, but he also helps them apply for and obtain admission to small business socioeconomic programs such as the 8(a) Program, service-disabled veteran-owned small business program, and others.
When Matt is not counseling clients about federal government contracts, he and his wife are probably trying (unsuccessfully) to keep up with their two children. A Kansas City sports fan, Matt was thrilled with the Royals’ success in 2014 and 2015; he now dreams of the Chiefs bringing home a Super Bowl.
Matt may be contacted by telephone at (785) 200-8919 or by email at email@example.com.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Court of Federal Claims
- Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- J.D., The University of Kansas School of Law
- B.G.S., The University of Kansas
Professional Associations & Memberships
- The Federal Bar Association
- Douglas County Bar Association
- “Understanding Unallowable Costs: The Accounting and Legal Perspectives.” Co-Presenter. 2019 NCMA Webinar.
- “2019 Government Contracting Legal Updates.” APTAC’s 2019 Fall Training Conference, Washington, D.C.
- “Understanding and Complying with the Nonmanufacturer Rule.” Co-Presenter. 2019 Govology Webinar.
- “There’s Value In Being Small: Why the Size of Your Business Matters.” Kansas PTAC Event, Overland Park, KS.
- “There’s Value In Being Small: Why the Size of Your Business Matters.” Kansas PTAC Event, Wichita, KS.
- “Size and Affiliation: Is Your Small Business Actually Small?” 2019 National HUBZone Conference, Chantilly, VA.
- “Big Changes for Small Contractors: 2019 Government Contracting Legal Overview.” Riverside Community College District PTAC Webinar.
- “5 Things You Should Know: Federal Government Contracting.” NCMA World Congress 2019, Boston, MA.
- “Legal Aspects for Small Biz: Joint Venture & Affiliates.” Riverside Community College District PTAC Webinar.
- “Big Changes for Small Contractors: 2019 Government Contracting Legal Changes” and “SBA’s “All-Small“ Mentor/Protégé Program and Joint Ventures.” 2019 HUBZone Small Business Summit, Atlanta, GA.
- “Game Changer: An Update on the SBA’s Universal Small Business Mentor-Protégé Program.” Co-Presenter. Govology Webinar.
- “Big Changes for Small Contractors: 2019 Government Contracting Legal Changes.” NDIA IA-IL Chapter 2019 Midwest Government Contracting Symposium, Moline, IL.
- “Section 809: Understanding the Fine Print and Asking the Right Questions.” Panelist. 2019 NHOA Section 809 Panel Webinar.
- “The Ins and Outs of the HUBZone Program: A Legal Overview.” Oklahoma Bid Assistance Network/OK PTAC HUBZone Awareness Workshop, Durant, OK.
- “Debriefings and Bid Protests: A Journey Through a Protest from Start to Finish.” Co-Presenter. Koprince Law LLC 2019 Webinar.
- “Government Contracting: Common Pitfalls for the Unwary Contractor (and Attorney).” Co-Presenter. Douglas County Bar Association March 2019 Brown Bag CLE, Lawrence, KS.
- “Joint Ventures/Teaming Agreements.” Wyoming SBDC Network Webinar.
- “5 Things You Should Know: Federal Government Contracts.” The Redstone Edge Conference 2018, Huntsville, AL.
- “Small Business Size and Affiliation Issues: Is Your Small Business Actually Small?” 2018 National HUBZone Conference, Chantilly, VA.
- “5 Things You Should Know About Federal Government Contracts” and “Debriefings and Bid Protests: How to Protect Your Interests After the Award.” Simplifying Government Contracting & Bid Protests Training, El Paso, TX.
- “Small Business Impacts of the 2018 NDAA.” Minneapolis ESGC Education & Training Series 2018, Minneapolis, MN.
- “Legal Updates Relevant to Small Business Government Contractors,” “Mentor-Protégé Program,” and “Teaming & Joint Ventures.” 14th Procurement & Contracting Symposium, Fort Bliss, TX.
- “Legal Updates Relevant to Small Business Government Contractors” and “5 Things Your Business Should Know: Federal Government Contracts.” SAME 2018 Small Business Symposium, Bremerton, WA.
- “5 Things Your Small Business Should Know About Federal Government Contracts” and “Big Changes for Small Business: Legal Updates Relevant to Small Business Government Contractors.” 2018 GRO-Biz Conference and Idea Expo, Rock Springs, WY.
- “How to Properly Set-Up and Update Your SAM.gov Profile.” Govology Webinar.
- “5 Things Your Business Should Know About Federal Government Contracts.” Global Entrepreneurship Week, Kansas City, MO.
- “Legal Updates Relevant to Small Business Government Contractors.” 12th Annual Veterans Business Conference, Fort Bliss, TX.
- “Legal Updates Relevant to Small Business Government Contractors.” The Redstone Edge Conference 2017, Huntsville, AL.
- “Legal Updates Relevant to Small Business Government Contractors.” 13th Procurement & Contracting Symposium, Fort Bliss, TX.
- “Legal Updates Relevant to Small Business Government Contractors.” Holloman AFB Industry Day and Contracting Symposium, Alamogordo, NM.
- “Legal Updates Relevant to Small Business Government Contractors.” 11th Annual Veterans Business Conference, Fort Bliss, TX.
- “Teaming, Joint Ventures and Affiliations.” 12th Annual Veterans Business Conference, Fort Bliss, TX.
- “Teaming, Joint Ventures and Affiliations.” Holloman AFB Industry Dray and Contracting Symposium, Alamogordo, NM.
- “Government Contracting Legal Update.” 2016 Alliance Northwest Conference, Puyallup, WA.
- “Kingdomware: A Bid Deal for SD/VOSBs.” 2015 Veteran Business Training & Outreach Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- “SBA’s 2018 Small Business Procurement Scorecard: Over $120 Billion Awarded to Small Businesses.” SmallGovCon, 2019.
- “Preparing for Contract Performance . . . and Guarding Against Problems.” SmallGovCon, 2019.
- “Joint Venture and Mentor/Protégé.” Guest Speaker. GovCon Giants Podcast, June 3, 2019.
- “Runway Extension Act Update: SBA Says Three-Year Reporting Period Still Applies.” SmallGovCon, 2019.
- “GAO: Past Performance Should Relate to Solicited Services.” SmallGovCon, 2019.
- “Debriefings and Bid Protests: Koprince Law LLC GovCon Handbook Volume 3.” Amazon, 2019.
- “5 Things You Should Know: The Nonmanufacturer Rule.” SmallGovCon, 2019.
- “What’s the Purpose of a Bid Protest? Section 809 Panel Suggests An Answer.” SmallGovCon, 2019.
- “5 Things You Should Know: NAICS Code Appeals.” SmallGovCon, 2019.
- “Conflicts of Interest: Raytheon’s Win in Conflicts Case Serves as a Vetting Reminder.” Bloomberg Law Federal Contracts Report, 2017 (quoted).
- “Bid Protest: Contracting Sphere Awaits Rand Report on Defense Bid Protests.” Bloomberg Law Federal Contracts Report, 2017 (quoted).
- “SBA OHA: Foreign Subsidiary was “Small Business”.” Westlaw Journal, 2017.
- “Selling Trump’s Washington Hotel to End Conflict May Mean Loss.” Bloomberg.com, 2017 (quoted)
- “Cost Realism: Using Offeror’s Actual Rates Was Unobjectionable.” Westlaw Journal, 2016.
- “Contractors Fret Looming Expiry of GAO Task Order Protests.” Law360.com, 2016 (quoted).
Recent YouTube Videos
- “GovCon Pointer: What To Do When the COR Tries to Change the Scope of Work Under Your Contract.” YouTube, 2019.
- “Discussing the Small Business Runway Extension Act: Will Your Small Business Be Affected?” YouTube, 2019.
- “FAR Update Clarifies SAM Registration Deadline (Effective Oct. 26, 2018).” YouTube, 2018.
- “SDVOSB Eligibility Update: SBA Issues New Rule.” YouTube, 2018.
- “GAO Final Rule: EPDS Filing System Will Be Live May 1.” YouTube, 2018.
- “8a Sole Source Not allowed if Prior Intent to Solicit Otherwise.” YouTube, 2018.
- “Enhanced DOD Debriefings Coming In 2018.” YouTube, 2018.
- “A Minute On Affiliation.” YouTube, 2018.
- Represented numerous clients in bid protests at the Government Accountability Office, oftentimes obtaining favorable results through corrective action or sustained protests. For example, Matt was heavily involved in developing the successful arguments and briefing in Spur Design, LLC, B-412245.3 (Feb. 24, 2016), a protest challenging the VA’s failure to set-aside a procurement for service-disabled veteran-owned small businesses in violation of 38 U.S.C. § 8127(d).
- Lead counsel in a bid protest at the Court of Federal Claims challenging exclusion from consideration under the CIO-SP3 small business procurement.
- Represented several clients in size protests and related appeals (both as the protester and intervenor). This includes the successful defense of a client in size protests (and subsequent appeals) filed by multiple disappointed offerors under a complex U.S. Air Force solicitation.
- Lead associate attorney in a complex bid protest at the FAA’s Office of Dispute Resolution for Acquisition.
- Represented clients in claims and appeals under the Contract Disputes Act, including an action under which a contractor obtained a favorable settlement and revised CPAR ratings.
- Counseled clients about SBA’s All-Small Mentor/Protégé Program, and negotiated and prepared mentor/protégé agreements on behalf of small business clients.
- Negotiated and prepared teaming agreements and joint venture agreements on behalf of clients.
- Assisted with 8(a) and HUBZone program applications and compliance.
- Counseled clients about compliance with the Federal Acquisition Regulation, FAR supplements, and SBA’s government contracting regulations.
- Prepared portion of Supreme Court amicus brief in support of the service-disabled veteran-owned small business appellant in Kingdomware Technologies v. United States discussing the history of socioeconomic set-asides and the importance of the Rule of Two.